Mate – Seagoing, Maritime Services
Location UK – Greenock – Maritime – Full Time
Serco Maritime Services deliver maritime support packages tailored to our customers’ needs all delivered within a national accreditation framework. As owners and operators of specialist vessels, from harbour workboats to oceangoing support vessels, we provide world class integrated maritime services both in the UK and abroad.
Our oceangoing vessels provide a range of support, which include for example: dive support, military training, submarine rescue exercises, target, test equipment recovery and passenger transfers.
This rotation for this role is 6 weeks on/6 weeks off. The post offers an exciting opportunity for the right applicant to support a professional multi-skilled team operating worldwide for customers who expect and deserve the best service.
This Mate role will ensure and support the following as a minimum:
* One of the vessel bridge watchkeepers, undertaking watches as planned by Master/Chief Officer. Whilst watchkeeping the Mate is in control of the vessel and will follow Company Procedures of navigation and International regulations. The duties of the Mate will be assigned by the Master and Chief Officer.
* Be responsible for ensuring that all navigational systems are in good working order, all charts/publications are correct up to date and maintain such records as may be required. Prepare voyage plans from berth to berth, in consultation with the Chief Officer/Master.
* Liaise with other ship’s crew/clients in order to give feedback and early warning concerning any practice, item of plant or machinery which might be a potential hazard.
* As directed by the Master/Chief Officer, supervise cargo/deck operations and other duties.
* Supervise work on main deck as directed by Master/Chief Officer – ensuring at all times toolbox talks have taken place and are recorded appropriately.
* Routinely review VOPS to ensure they are up to date and recognises current working practices.
* Keep Master/Chief Officer advised of tasks and maintenance progress at all times.
* Ensure the vessel is kept as clean as possible, with stairs, ladders and walkways kept clear at all times.
* Monitor, control and document the use of spares and stores as directed.
* To be fully conversant with the use of all safety equipment, emergency procedures and contingency plans and so ensure that all members of crew are trained and proficient.
* Be familiar with safety routines and ensure necessary safeguards are in place before any maintenance/repair work commences.
* Fully conversant with company Safety Management System - specifically:
* Vessel Operating Procedures (Including risk assessments)
* Permit to Work/Tag Out Systems
* Shipboard Management Team
* Shipboard Safety Committee
* To understudy the other Mate so that, in the event of illness or accident, he/she may take over their responsibilities temporarily.
* MCA Certificate of Competency as an Officer of the Watch (Unlimited) as a minimum
* STCW Personal Survival Techniques (5 Year Refresher Course)
* STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (5 Year Refresher Course)
* STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (5 Year Refresher Course)
* STCW Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft (5 Year Refresher Course)
* STCW Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (5 Year Refresher Course)
* STCW Elementary First Aid
* Unrestricted ENG1
* Methodical in approach
Desirable skills, knowledge and qualifications:
* US Visa (desirable)
* Manual Handling
* Security Clearance
* Ship’s Safety Officer Certificate – Preferred
* Ship’s Security Officer Certificate – Preferred
* Advanced DP Officer Qualification/Experience – Preferred (SD Northern River only)
* Explosives Responsible Officer Course – Preferred (SD Victoria Only)
* Familiarisation with company/industry specific systems:
+ Serco Management System (SMS)
+ Integrated Management System (IMS)
+ International Safety Management (ISM)
+ International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS)
+ Code of Safe Working Practices (CoSWP)
+ International Organisational for Standardisation (ISO)
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on (Apply online only) as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward
1 month ago