Job Title: PEGA Lead Analyst Programmer (4P8)
Department: Digital Solutions IT
Line Manager: PEGA & Integration Delivery Centre Manager
Senior Manager: Head of IT Delivery & Integration
Direct Reports: Nil (Can have 1-3 Analyst Programmers)
Indirect Reports: Nil (possible 3rd party service provider resource on project work)
Aegon is helping to shape the future of financial services in the UK - we exist to help people take responsibility for their financial future. We’re part of the Aegon Group, one of the world’s largest providers of pensions, investments and protection.
Summary of Department: IT
The purpose of the IT function is to provide technical support and progressive e-business solutions to meet the needs of the diverse range of customers across AEGON UK.
The function is responsible for the provision and maintenance of several different IT Business Systems and Services. These services are aligned with business priorities and are provided by both internal and external providers, both on site and off shore.
The IT Development function presently has c100 staff in Edinburgh developing and maintaining multiple Business Systems, Automated Business Processes and Applications.
Summary of Role:
The Lead Analyst Programmer job content will evolve in line with the acquisition of experience. The fundamentals of the job purpose are encapsulated in the following listings
- Control the Investigation of Customer Requirements
- Control the Analysis of Customer Information
- Evaluate Potential IT Products and Services
- Review and Improve the Performance of Existing IT Products and Services
- Control the Provision of IT Support
- Control the Creation of Software Specifications
- Control the Software Creation Process
- Control System Installation and Testing
- AEGON third parties
- AUK Business stakeholders
- IT Engineers and Technicians
- 2nd and 3rd line
- IT/Change colleagues across the AEGON Group
Budget Holder: No
- Works with colleagues and clients/users to investigate and model business functions, processes, information flows and data structures, using methodical and consistent techniques. Also with clients/users to investigate operational requirements and problems, seeking effective business solutions through improvements in information systems, data management, processes/procedures, organisation and equipment.
- Working alone or as part of a team, analyses the underlying issues arising from investigations into requirements and problems, and identifies available options for consideration. Works with clients/users in specifying information flows, processes/procedures, and data objects that will meet the business requirements.
- Consults with IS specialists in areas such as software engineering, data management, communications, and service delivery and takes account of their recommendations.
- Arranges, prepares and conducts meetings, workshops and presentations for a wide variety of audiences, demonstrating consistently high qualities of communication and persuasive skills.
- Schedules the work of applications support staff.
- Puts in place and maintains procedures and tools for the correct recording and progressing of requests for support. Ensures that appropriate application support tools are available and staff are trained to use them, and that adequate documentation for the applications supported is available and kept up to date. Ensures that requests for support are properly logged, assigned and responded to in a timely manner and according to agreed standards and procedures.
- Ensures users and other interested parties are kept informed of progress and that corrective action is taken to avoid or minimize delays.
- Monitors and oversees performance of the applications support activity, reporting on its effectiveness and taking action to remedy deficiencies.
- Provides advice and guidance to less experienced colleagues as required. Liaises with systems development staff or software suppliers on the development of system enhancements to overcome known problems or further fulfill user requirements.
- Takes responsibility for the acceptance of new releases of applications software from systems development staff or software suppliers.
- Working alone on moderately complex systems or with colleagues on larger or more complex systems. Produces system specifications covering for example: objectives, scope, constraints (such as performance, resources etc.), hardware, network and software environments, main system functions and information flows, data load and implementation strategies, phasing of development, requirements not met, and alternatives considered.
- Translates logical designs into physical designs taking account of target environment, performance requirements and existing systems.
- Produces detailed designs including for example: user/system interfaces, physical data flows, file layouts, common routines and utilities, program specifications or prototypes, and backup, recovery and restart procedures menus, screen dialogues, inputs, reports, validation and error correction procedures, processing rules, access, security and audit controls, and contingency procedures. Identifies common processes.
- Provides guidance to less experienced colleagues as required.
- Working with database design or database administration colleagues where appropriate, translates object and data models into appropriate DB schema within design constraints.
- Updates or provides input to cost benefit analyses, risk analyses and development plans to take account of design decisions. Assists in the assessment and selection of suitable software packages to meet all or parts of specified requirements
- Allocates programmers to pieces of work, taking account of individuals’ abilities and the requirements of the work. Oversees performance of programming staff, reports on their effectiveness and takes action to remedy deficiencies.
- Provides advice, guidance and assistance to less experienced colleagues as required.
- Takes responsibility for the design, coding, testing and documentation of particularly large, complex or mission critical programs.
- Provides expert advice in some or all aspects of the programming methods, tools and/or standards used in the organisation. Evaluates and reviews programming methods and tools used in the organisation. Undertakes, or arranges for, the recruitment, training and development of programming staff.
- Takes responsibility for the testing function within an IS development project. Allocates testers to pieces of work. Supervises the performance of testers, reports on their effectiveness and takes action to remedy deficiencies. Provides authoritative advice and guidance to colleagues on any aspect of test planning and execution.
- Defines testing strategies for an IS development department or project. Directs and carries out investigations to find suitable testing tools and methods. In consultation with senior development colleagues, decides which should be adopted and how they should be implemented.
- Develops knowledge of the technical specialism by, for example, reading relevant literature, attending conferences etc.
- Maintains an awareness of current developments in the technical specialism within employing organisation, own industry and outside.
- Provides advice, both re-actively and pro-actively, to those engaged in activities where the technical specialism is applicable. Identifies opportunities to apply the technical specialism.
- Carries out specific assignments related to the technical specialism, either alone or as part of a team.
- Provides, or assists with, quality assurance of activities involving the technical specialism, which are carried out by others. Develops and maintains quality standards and policies relating to the technical specialism. Educates those in closely-related areas, such as clients/users and IS development teams, about the specialism and its impact on their work. Constructs, interprets and executes test plans to verify correct operation of completed systems.
- Ensures that the performance of IS practitioners is appraised and assessed in accordance with HRIA and that the results of assessments are correctly reported back to those being appraised.
- Checks that appraisal and assessment criteria support and integrate with job descriptions, person specifications, and selection and evaluation criteria for candidates.
- Applies available standards, methods and tools in an intelligent and effective way, and produces a consistently high standard of documentation of both a technical and a descriptive nature.
- Ensures all work is carried out and documented in accordance with required standards, methods and procedures and that any applicable configuration management procedures are adhered to.
- Documents all work using required standards, methods and tools, including prototyping tools where appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains agreed standards applicable to the work undertaken.
- Personally reviews the more complex and critical plans.
- Analytical Thinking: Acquiring understanding of a problem or situation by breaking it down systematically into its component parts and identifying the relationships.
- Persistence: Meeting targets and fulfilling agreements even when adverse circumstances prevail.
- Planning and Organisation
- Expert in Application Development Methods, Techniques and
- Proficient in the application of automated systems
- Proficient in AEGON Applications Development Tools.
- Basic knowledge of AEGON UK products at a high level.
- Awareness / familiarization with any appropriate legislation,
- Reasonable knowledge of the market place within which AEGON UK operates
- Good working knowledge of the structure of the AEGON UK Group, Understanding of the structure & role of IT functions across the Group.
- Appreciates the importance of commercial constraints.
- Has achieved proficiency in the Role of Software Creation, Business Analysis, Apps Support or any Systems Development or Maintenance function - Level 3, and has gained substantial business experience, including some management or professional responsibility, and has received training in business analysis methods and techniques
- Probably educated to degree level/equivalent business experience
- PEGA Certified System Architect (mandatory)
- PEGA Certified Senior System Architect (preferred)
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age
Posted 9 Days Ago
We’re driven by our commitment to helping the UK get ready for retirement. As part of this, we’re constantly developing new ways to simplify, improve and revolutionise how we help individuals, employers, advisers, our communities and the environment. That means we need the right kind of people on our team.
We’re a company of around 2,000 innovators and thinkers who put our energy into helping customers. You can see this in our culture where we ask everyone to be brave, raise their game, deliver first time, help others, and act in everyone’s best interests. If you recognise yourself in this, we’d love to hear from you.
Job has now expired