Head of Estates
Stanmore College is a high achieving, vibrant, further education college in the London Borough of Harrow. It delivers education and training programmes to more than 1,300 young people and 2,500 adults.
We are looking for a highly effective and efficient Head of Estates. You will be professional and possess appropriate qualifications for the post. As Head of this critical service, you will be managing the strategic and operational activities of the estates department to ensure that services are delivered in a planned, efficient and cost effective manner. You will ensure all buildings and estates matters are dealt with professionally and in scheduled format.
The successful candidate will have good communications skills with the ability to communicate at all levels. A good understanding of estates/ project development would be useful, as would the ability to manage key contracts, including catering and cleaning.
You will be the Health & Safety Officer for the College and manage all aspects of security and maintenance, including direct line management of all security and maintenance teams. You be responsible for the operation and upkeep of all estates systems, including security CCTV surveillance, automated locking systems, fire and alarm systems.
You will be educated to at least Level 3 and have a health & safety qualification. You will have experience of line management, estates maintenance and caretaking and procurement of products and services.
If you would like more information, or an application pack, please see our website: or e-mail
Salary: Band I, points 30 - 35, £32,978 - £37,558 per annum.
Closing date for applications is Thursday, 5th December 2019
Interviews will be held on Thursday, 12th December 2019
Reporting to: Deputy Principal for Finance and Planning
Job Summary: To manage the daily operational activity of the estates department to ensure that services are delivered efficiently and cost effectively with incidents being dealt with professionally and in a timely manner. The post also encompasses the management of all aspects of security, including direct line management of all security staff and operation and upkeep of all security systems including CCTV surveillance and automated locking systems.
To act as Health & Safety Officer, providing and promoting advice and guidance on all aspects of Health & Safety at Work across the whole College
- Management of all aspects of facilities services at any site at which the college operates.
- To act as Health & Safety Officer, providing advice and guidance on all aspects of Health & Safety at Work across the whole College.
- Performing the role of the Health & Safety Officer and maintaining and reviewing the College Health and Safety Policies, in accordance with existing statutory requirements and producing and implementing a health and safety action plan, including a fire evacuation plan and related policies and ensuring that all accidents are investigated and reported appropriately to all authorities including liaison with the College Insurance/Solicitors provider.
- Contributing to strategic plans and preparing strategy for the development of the College estate and to plans for College security, contributing to student retention and success and other key performance indicators.
- Producing specification and designs for and project managing minor building projects, remodelling and redecoration work.
- Administering and controlling budgets for estate maintenance/ redevelopment work and furniture purchases.
- Ensuring a planned maintenance programme is produced and implemented including the College heating plant and other energy requirements.
- Line management of Site Maintenance and Security staff, including preparation of annual appraisals.
- Providing operational input into security across the College in liaison with the security team and other stakeholders.
- Ensuring that all site maintenance tasks are addressed in a timely and prioritised fashion, paying specific attention to health and safety issues including undertaking regular site inspections to ensure safety and compliance with statutory obligations.
- Devising and adapting shift rotas, taking into account holidays, staff absences and break periods, to ensure appropriate staffing cover in accordance with college operational hours and ensuring effective use of Security staff during holiday periods
- Acting as the first point of contact for staff, contractors and others for any matter relating to the operation of Stanmore College facilities.
- Making and maintaining contact with external contractors on all building and service – related matters.
- Ensuring the College CCTV, fire alarm and security alarm systems are maintained and upgraded as required, ensuring that all areas are effectively covered at all times.
- Project managing minor maintenance and refurbishment works and assisting the Deputy Principal for Finance and Planning with larger projects.
- Acting as the main key holder and attending to any alarm activations on the Elm Park site.
- Maintaining incident logs relating to general site security, and ensuring that the Deputy Principal for Finance and Planning is kept informed of all activity and advising on security issues.
- Understanding and supporting users’ requirements to provide appropriate facilities relevant to usage activity.
- Operationally managing the externally contracted cleaning and catering contracts so ensuring an economical and effective cleaning service and assisting with the contract tender.
- Collaborating with the MIS, using the ProSolution timetabling software to ensure optimum and efficient room usage.
- Serving on groups and committees within the College as required and liaising with the Senior Leadership and Executive Teams on all health and safety issues.
- Taking responsibility for the procurement of facilities and security related products and services.
- Assisting the Executive Team in the management of incidents and emergencies in line with the published emergency evacuation policy, procedures and business continuity planning.
- Promoting and contributing to College sustainability policies and action plans.
- Ensuring that all contractors and team members comply with all health and safety legislation relating to estates and facilities and ensuring that all departmental risk assessments are carried out and filed appropriately.
- Managing the College transport needs by effective maintenance, administration and bookings/usage of the College vehicles.
- Maintaining personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the post.
- Taking personal responsibility for supporting, promoting and following all College policies in relation to health and safety, safeguarding, equality and diversity and data protection within the scope of the post.
- Managing the letting arrangements of the College including liaison, contracts and providing a lettings service to customers.
The post holder can be required to carry out any other duties consistent with the grade of the post, at any site on which the College may operate.
This job description is current at the date shown below. In consultation with the post holder, it is liable to variation by management within a reasonable timescale to reflect or anticipate changes in or to the job.
Posted 3 days ago