Here at FutureLearn, our purpose is to transform access to education. We do that by partnering with over a quarter of the world’s top universities to support over 10 million learners across the globe to develop skills and achieve their personal and professional goals. We’re a leading social learning platform founded in December 2012 by The Open University and are now jointly owned by The Open University and The SEEK Group. We use design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible short online courses and microcredentials, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. In addition to top universities, we also partner with leading organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and Health Education England (HEE), as well as being involved in government-backed initiatives to address skills gaps such as The Institute of Coding and the National Centre for Computing Education.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our vision for data is that ultimately data will be the engine that informs decisions at FutureLearn, future-proofing decisions, helping the organisation act, and providing visibility across all aspects of our business.
Our goal is to rapidly improve our data set-up and data delivery within FutureLearn, with the Director of Data being an integral part in helping us to improve governance, standardise KPIs, support & develop dashboards, derive actionable and critical insights from data, and sustain and develop our platform.
In addition we wish to develop further the way in which we derive value from this data for partners by surfacing this to them in an easy to access tool, on the same principles as we do for internal users. This role will provide overall leadership for our Data Insights & Platform team under the Director of Strategy
- The Data Director will hold accountability for how we collect, structure and use our data across the organisation.
- Your team will be responsible for growing the value of our data (as measured by quality, governance, trust, accessibility) and so deliver the data products that we need to achieve our goals.
- As the “data product owner”, you will act as a single point of contact and accountability for data as a strategic asset within our organisation.
- You will be the primary client of the data engineering team, who will work to deliver your priorities, while maintaining a line into the Tech org to understand and align data to platform changes.
- You will provide leadership to the business on the most effective use of data both now and in the future, to help FutureLearn grow.
- Single point-of-contact / point-of-accountability: As the “data product owner”, act as single point of contact and accountability for data as a strategic asset within our organisation.
- Talent development: Establish and mentor the Data Insights & Science team so that they have the capability required to execute. Support, educate and inspire the adjacent teams and so create the capabilities and behaviours that are necessary for data to be approached as a strategic asset.
- Leadership of the data solution: Shape and build consensus around the data product vision, strategy and roadmap.
- Stakeholder management: Elicit strategic business priorities from the various business customers, so that we have a unified and coherent understanding of how the organisation will gain business value from our data product.
- Business analysis: Define and maintain a consolidated, granular backlog of the business need, the delivery of which will unlock this business value. Ensure that this backlog is underpinned by business analysis that has been completed to an appropriate standard (i.e., glossary, business concept definition, workflow mapping, org mapping).
- Data Science: Define and develop the insight generation and product development output of the Data Science team, to assist them to prioritise and deliver actionable business value
- Prioritisation and project management: Prioritise the business need to ensure that we are first delivering those capabilities with greatest impact, lowest effort, and least dependency.
- Delivery focus: Ultimately, ensure that the data product is fit-for-purpose to business need by working closely with all stakeholders, applying a multi-disciplinary skill-set coupled with subject matter expertise, and raise/escalate items rapidly to ensure that the programme remains on-track.
The right candidate will bring a multi-disciplinary skill-set to include:
- A deep understanding of the data domain, including data governance, data architecture, data modelling, data engineering, data delivery, and the role of data to enable analytics, reporting and business intelligence.
- Delivery experience within a fast moving, consumer-orientated organisation.
- Product management experience, capable of defining the “data as a product” vision, and to execute effectively alongside a team of engineers and analysts
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with strong interpersonal and influencing capabilities
- Experience with rapid development methodologies, e.g., Agile, SCRUM, Kanban
- Highly attentive to detail, with a structured problem-solving approach. Experience writing clear business requirements documentation
- Experience handling multiple projects and priorities, managing timescales and delivery across a technical, cross-functional teams
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
Please submit a CV and a cover letter. In your cover letter please clearly explain how you meet the essential skills and experience criteria mentioned in the requirements specification section of the job description (300 words max). . This will help us determine your fit for the role and increase your application's chances of success. Please also include your salary expectations.
Closing date: Wednesday 5th February 2020
Please contact if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender assignment, age, pregnancy, maternity and paternity status, or disability status, marital and civil partnership status.
Posted 1 week ago