Chief Engineer – Seagoing, Maritime Services
Location UK – Kyle of Lochalsh – Maritime – Full Time
Serco Maritime Services deliver maritime support packages tailored to our customers’ needs all delivered within a national accreditation framework. As owners and operators of specialist vessels, from harbour workboats to oceangoing support vessels, we provide world class integrated maritime services both in the UK and abroad.
Our vessels provide a range of support, which include for example: dive support, military training, submarine rescue exercises, target/test equipment deployment/recovery and passenger transfers.
This rotation for this role is 6 weeks on/3 weeks off. The post offers an exciting opportunity for the right applicant to support a professional multi-skilled team operating from beautiful Kyle of Lochalsh for customers who expect and deserve the best service.
This Chief Engineer role will ensure the following as a minimum:
* Safe and efficient operation and maintenance of all propulsion, auxiliary and deck machinery, electrical appliances, air conditioning, domestic installations, boilers, fittings and structures within and without the machinery spaces and such items as may be detailed by the Company from time to time.
* Daily consultation with the Master and vessel crew in order to achieve the maximum economy consistent with the minimum efficiency required of the machinery under his/her charge. He/she must keep the Master promptly and fully informed of any occurrences in the engine room which might affect navigation, propulsion or the essential services under his control.
* Follow Company policies/procedures relating to his department, making sure that his team are alerted to Company requirements particularly safety, on any relevant matters.
* Maintain vessel administration/upkeep of Classification Society Survey requirements for both hull and machinery in support of ashore Technical team.
* Be fully conversant with the use of all safety equipment, emergency procedures and vessel contingency plans.
* Be familiar with safety routines and ensure necessary safeguards are in place before any work commences.
* Certificate of Competence as Chief Engineer (3000kW) as a minimum
* STCW Personal Survival Techniques (5 Year Refresher Course)
* STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (5 Year Refresher Course)
* STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (5 Year Refresher Course)
* STCW Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft (5 Year Refresher Course)
* STCW Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (5 Year Refresher Course)
* STCW Elementary First Aid
* Unrestricted ENG1
* Methodical in approach
Desirable skills, knowledge and qualifications:
* Ship’s Safety Officer – Preferred
* Manual Handling
* Familiarisation with company/industry specific systems:
+ Company Safety Management System (SMS)
+ Integrated Management System (IMS)
+ International Safety Management (ISM)
+ International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS)
+ Code of Safe Working Practices (CoSWP)
+ International Organisational for Standardisation (ISO)
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on (Apply online only) as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward
1 month ago