The Office for Students (OfS) works to ensure that English higher education is delivering positive outcomes for students - past, present, and future.
The Data, Foresight and Analysis Directorate provides data and analytical support for the OfS. It supports a wide range of data collection, analysis and research activities. You can read more about our work on the Office for Students' website, under Data and analysis.
The role aims to support analytical operations within the directorate, working across the five areas within the Analytics and Data Infrastructure teams: funding, institutional performance, financial analysis, information for students, and data infrastructure. The post-holder will deliver analytic duties that are assigned based on the emerging priorities of the organisation, which currently include supporting: the production of metrics for the TEF, the National Student Survey, individual funding allocations to higher education providers, and collection of data from providers.
When appointed to this post, the post-holder will undertake all or most of their work in the Analytics and Data Infrastructure teams. However, the organisation is committed to working flexibly and moving people to work with different teams and on different assignments, in order to: develop an individual's skills and experience, improve communications across teams, and to ensure that as the OfS's priorities change, resources are allocated appropriately. Movement to different assignments will take account of an individual's competencies, knowledge and preferences; the needs of the organisation, and the need for some team stability.
In this role, the post-holder may support wider organisational projects from time to time.
NOTE: This role is only available to current students wishing to undertake a one-year placement as part of a degree.
The role is part of a flexible pool of analysts supporting the OfS's analytical operations. The exact duties will be assigned based on the emerging priorities of the organisation. Staff will work with high levels of supervision. Typical outcomes at the grade are:
- Contribute to producing accurate and timely data sets to support OfS operations.
- Data sets and outputs produced in DFA are quality assured
- Templates for OfS data returns that include adequate validation and credibility checks
- Higher education providers receive good support in making data returns and understanding our analysis and outputs
- Contribute to the maintenance and support for tools to enable providers in returning high quality data
- Our methods and procedures are effectively communicated to providers and specific technical questions about the methods are answered accurately, as necessary
- Colleagues in OfS are supported to understand analytical outputs
Job has now expired